Monday, August 23, 2010

Garden

I am a city girl. I grew up in the city and have never had any desire whatsoever to work in a garden. I hate bugs, I hate dirt, I hate the hot sun. I don't even like to go to the playground, it's kind of sad! This summer, I was inspired by one of my fabulous parents and one of my fabulous teachers (also a city girl), who decided to transform an unused part of the property into a garden. We planted a bunch of things: tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, cantalope, pole beans, pumpkins, zuchinni. I actually tilled! A bunch of things didn't make it due to lack of water, or over-watering, some unidentified beetles that ate up everything, and the heat! Yesterday we had the pleasure of finding a cantalope that had made it. I am not a big cantalope fan, but it tasted better than any store bought cantalope I have ever had. I even spent some time in the garden thsi morning getting rid of some weeds and trying to see if the watermelons were ready (heck if I could tell!). I'm actually excited about getting ready for our fall planting.